There are many deserving individuals and groups who should be recognized for their efforts toward soil and water conservation. The following awards are given by our chapter:
- Distinguished Service Award - only one given annually to a Chapter member.
- Merit Award - up to four are given annually to non-member groups.
- Honor Award - only one given annually to a member or non-member.
- Environmental Educator of the Year - only one is given annually, to anyone involved in some type of conservation education.
- Commendation Award - up to five are given annually to Chapter members.
Award nomination forms can be mailed to:
Georgia SWCS Awards Chair
District Conservationist, NRCS
P.O. Box 8
Monroe, GA 30655
Or emailed to:
Jose Pagan firstname.lastname@example.org, Awards Chair
Deadline for receiving nominations is 15 April 2013.
Descrption of Awards
Distinguished Service Award – Given to Society members in recognition of unusual efforts in helping the Society develop and carry out its program over a long and sustained period of time.
- The nominee must have performed unusual service to the Society on a sustained basis for at least 10 years.
- The nominee's service should include activities that help the Society achieve its objectives.
- The award will not be given merely to recognized long membership or in honor of a member's retirement.
- No more than one award will be given annually.
- Nomination must be made or endorsed by Society members using nomination forms along with a written narrative supporting the above criteria.
Merit Award – Given to a business firm, corporation, mass media organization, or groups, in recognition of an outstanding effort or activity that promotes wise land use or conservation products.
- The effort or activity shall be in line with the Society's objectives and activities.
- The activity should be the result of an organized program of the business or organization and may include the activity of an agency of government.
- The activity should have clearly contributed to bringing about better land use and/or better understanding of natural resource conservation.
- No more than four awards will be given annually.
- Nominations may be submitted by members by providing a written narrative outlining sufficient supporting evidence to document the above criteria in addition to the award nomination form.
Honor Award – Recognizes individuals (members or non-members of the Society) for significant contributions in the field of conservation of natural resources compatible with the objectives of the Society.
- A nominee's contribution must be widely recognized by leaders in Soil & Water Conservation and related fields over a period of years.
- The nominee's activity shall have been of a voluntary nature, greatly exceeding his/her other normal working duties.
- The activity should clearly contribute to bring about better land use and/or understanding of natural resources conservation.
- No more than one award will be given annually.
- Nomination must be made or endorsed by Society members using the nomination form with written narrative and supporting data.
Environmental Educator of the Year Award – Given to one individual who has made a significant contribution to environmental education through dedicated and creative services.
- Nominations should be made using the nomination form with a written narrative outlining the contribution and its impact on environmental education.
Commendation Award – Given to Society members for their service to the Chapter and for professional achievement by the individual.
- All members are eligible for consideration.
- No more than five awards will be made annually.
- The activity for which the individual is recognized should be in line with the Society's objectives.
- The activity should have required unusual time or effort beyond his/her normal work.
- Award may be given in recognition of professional accomplishments in addition to Society affairs.
- The nominee's activity shall have been accomplished recently.
- Nominators should submit an award nomination form and supporting data to document the above.
International SWCS Individual Awards
Deadline: 12 February 2013
The awards program of the Soil and Water Conservation Society is designed to recognize individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions in advocating the conservation of soil, water, and related natural resources.
Awards available to society members:
- Fellow—Recognizes exceptional professional achievement coupled with service to the Society. Number awarded: up to 0.1% of members. Outstanding Service—Recognizes distinguished service to the Society over a long and sustained period (10 years minimum). Number awarded: up to 0.1% of members.
- Commendation—Recognizes members for service to their chapters (members having received other Society awards are also eligible). Number awarded: each chapter, council of chapters, Society board member, or Society officer may nominate no more than one member annually.
- Conservation Research Award—Recognizes SWCS members or teams of members whose research has led to exceptional improvements in soil conservation, water conservation, and/or related natural resources research. Number awarded: no more than four per year.
Awards available to society members and nonmembers:
- Hugh Hammond Bennett—Recognizes extraordinary national and international accomplishments in the conservation of soil, water, and related natural resources. Number awarded: one and only if a suitable candidate is nominated.
- Harold-Kay Scholl Excellence in Conservation—Recognizes individuals who creatively and effectively provide technical assistance in conservation planning and plan application. Number awarded: up to three annually
- Honor—Recognizes people for outstanding accomplishments compatible with Society objectives. Number awarded: up to ten annually.
- Merit—Recognizes noteworthy conservation activity or products of organizations, agencies, or firms. Number awarded: as many as meet the criteria.
How to submit an award:
Information and award applications are available online at the SWCS awards page. Award nominations are encouraged to be submitted by email (email@example.com) or may be mailed to (one copy only): SWCS Awards, 945 SW Ankeny Rd., Ankeny, IA 50023. Some nominations require a signed petition to accompany the award’s nomination form. You may fax the signed petition to 515-289-1227. All nominations must be received by February 12, 2013. All forms of submission will receive a confirmation of receipt. Additional information, if needed, may be obtained from the Society’s headquarters office (515-289-2331, ext. 112), your regional Awards Committee representative, or the Awards Committee Chair, Rob Lawson, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Award recipients will be announced at the Society’s annual meeting, unless otherwise indicated.